a little taste of the handmade goodness you will find on the site...

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Meet the Maker - Yours, naturally

Please tell us who you are & what you do?

We are the daughter (Franda) and mother (Fran) team making and selling the Yours, naturally Baby Care Products and accessories.


How did you get started? Have you worked in other creative areas before the kind of work you’re doing now?
Yours, naturally almost happened by accident. I (Franda) started making a baby balm for my (then) 2 month old son. I love natural and organic products, but just couldn't afford to buy them for him. They are all so expensive! So I thought I could make him one myself. I did some research, looked into some family recipes, and made a batch for our personal use.


Some of my friends wanted to try it as well, and they loved it so much that I started getting orders for more.... so I started selling them!


Since then it evolved into more products, and I also got my Mom (Fran) involved. We are now a registered company, and we supply to quite few online retailers, locally and overseas, and some retail shops.


Before I started Yours, naturally I've always been in creative type jobs. I have a Fine Arts degree, specializing in Painting, drawing and Ceramics, and also completed a Make Up Artist course. I also worked at the Body Shop for a few years as a manager and make up artist - where my interest in natural products intensified. My Mom (Fran) is a librarian, but has run a successful business before. I think I got my entrepreneurial skills from her!


Is there a story behind the name of your shop?
We wanted it to sound like the way you would end a letter: "yours, naturally" Just simple and clean.


How long have you been creating for?
I started making the baby balm in February 2009, and started selling them under the Yours, naturally label in April 2009.


Is your business a hobby, a profession or a happy marriage of both?
We are trying to make it into a fully fledged business! We would both LOVE to be making enough money with this to support our families!


Describe your work setting.
The Kitchen mostly!


Do you work alone? With a team? Do you engage your family or friends in the work? What is your process? How do you ensure you get your work done yet still have a life?
Usually team: Franda and Fran, although the whole family tends to get involved. From baby sitting duties (so we can get some work done!) to them helping out with some money when we need it!


Why do you do what you do? What inspires you? When do you get most excited?
We love the fact that we can supply a natural alternative that is AFFORDABLE! We love getting all those positive feedback from customers, and since we use all the products ourselves we know they work! I enjoy the creativity of the business. Not only do we get to make things, we do marketing, selling and promoting. It's stimulating and very rewarding!!

Have you ever been in business before?
Just selling my art, and doing some Make Up freelance. My Mom is the real business woman! As a child, I remember going to markets with her where she sold her art (Yes, she paints too!) and she owned and ran a shop for years back in South Africa, where we are from. I do have an extensive retail management background though.


At what point do you consider yourself successful?
I think we are doing pretty well now - but when we both can call this our only income, I will call us successful!


Where do you do your best thinking?
In bed when I'm supposed to be falling asleep... most annoying.


What stops you from giving up when you are frustrated?
I hate losing or admitting defeat. If you know me - you will know this. If I get challenged, or comments are made that someone doesn't think I can do it, I want to do it even more.


If you had time to learn a new skill what would it be?
Crochet and sewing!


When you are not involved in your craft/business- what can you usually be found doing
Playing with my 17 month old boy, Matthys, or just hanging out with my husband and family. We are all very family orientated!


Do you have a favourite handmade purchase?
Too many! At the moment it is a brooch by Ruby in the Dust - she made it with recycled embroidered fabric - I love it!


Do you buy on impulse or do you go out looking for something you need?
I go out for something I need - and end up buying that, and buying other things on impulse! My Mom is a real Libra - takes her AGES to make up her mind!


FAST FIVE ...
1. What is the last thing that made you belly laugh? Matthys - Spraying himself in the face with a water bottle.
2. Where do you hide your secret stash of chocolate? My husband hides it (not too well) in his drawer.
3. What statement do you hear yourself say to your kids that remind you of your upbringing? Look with your eyes, not your hands.
4. Who controls the remote in your house? ME!
5. What was your cheapest holiday? Mozambique


If you have any questions you would like to ask the ladies at Yours, naturally please leave a comment below!

Shop for your organic products by Yours, naturally HERE


*************************************************************************************
PROMO TIME!!!
Buy a 65ml baby butter, receive a 10ml nappy bag size baby balm free!
You won't get anything more moisturising for your baby's dry spots than our fragrance free, gentle Baby Butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of our website?