a little taste of the handmade goodness you will find on the site...

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Meet the Maker - Little Lizzies




Please tell us who you are & what you do?

Amanda Gray, Little Lizzies. I make knitted garments with a unique twist, such as the Asymmetric Poncho, using both recycled and new fibres. My favourite fibres to work with, are those with Bamboo in them as they create a lovely soft garment.

How did you get started? Have you worked in other creative areas before the kind of work you’re doing now?
I used to sew when I was younger before heading off to uni and at the time never even considered it as a career option. It wasn't until I was pregnant with my second child that I sat down at the sewing machine again. At the time I didn't really like a lot of the fashion that was around, and having children who were big/tall for their age, they needed clothing that was appropriate for them. Added to this my second child had a disability and not knowing how severe it would be as she got older, it become obvious that I wouldn't be able to go out to work easily, so I enrolled in a Fashion Design Course at the local Polytech.
The knitting side of things evolved out of my needing to find something to do at night, when I couldn't sit at the sewing machine, and not really being a knitter when I was younger, and I never expected it to last, but this time it all clicked. Next thing I designed the Aysmmetric Poncho and joined Little Kiwi's Nest!

Is there a story behind the name of your shop?
The name 'Little Lizzies' came about from my first daughter whose middle name is Elizabeth, and as it was because of her that I had chosen to go down the designer path, it seemed only fitting to name it after her.

How long have you been creating for?
The knitting side of things I have only been creating for the last 3 years, and have been a part of Little Kiwis Nest for about 8mths.

Describe your work setting.
I don't really have a special work area, as our house is on the small side, so I have stashes of wool and fabric all over the house. I do most of my knitting while watching tv, and sometimes I'll even knit while sitting at the computer.

Why do you do what you do? What inspires you? When do you get most excited?
I do what I do, because I love creating things, that sense of satisfaction in knowing that you made it! I get inspired by all sorts of things such as the textures and colours of fabrics and yarns. My daughter Molly also inspires me as she had to fight hard to be here when she was a baby. I get most excited when I try a new technique for the first time and it works. I also love it when my kids get excited about what I'm doing.

Can you remember your first sale? What was it?
My first sale was over the Xmas period in 2008 when I was sharing a stall with another friend at a local market. I sold one of the very first Aysmmetric Ponchos I had designed, made from 100% bamboo.

Where do you do your best thinking?
When I'm out walking.


If you had time to learn a new skill what would it be?
I've been teaching myself how to crotchet, but I would also love to know how to do macrame.


When you are not involved in your craft/business- what can you usually be found doing
Either helping out with school fundraisers, walking or Blogging about kids with special needs etc in my new blogzine (www.handsupnz.wordpress.com)

FAST FIVE ...



1. What is the last thing that made you belly laugh? Would probably be at my son's expense as he has Aspergers and sometimes his take on the world is hillarious.

2. What book is on your bedside table? I have just finished reading Cirque du Freak Vampires Assistant, Darren Shan.


3. What was the last cd/ipod track etc that you listened to? It would have been something by The Killers or Muse


4. What statement do you hear yourself say to your kids that remind you of your upbringing? Walk don't run.


5. Who controls the remote in your house? I do, when the kids cartoons aren't on



VISIT LITTLE LIZZIES ONLINE STORE HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of our website?